Wednesday, June 1, 2011

"Tard Whispering"


As I lie here, typing this blog, I listen to Max and Daddy reading a book in the next room. A smile creeps over my face as I listen to Max labeling things in the book and demonstrating the various noises each animal makes. I am SO unbelievably proud that he is able to do these things and so much more. On the other hand, a dark cloud of sadness, anger, and many other emotions works it way into my mind. You see.....something happened at work last week that I just haven't been able to let go. I like to believe that people in my profession like to help other people....that they understand differences...that they are as excited about new knowledge as I am. But....I guess I'm wrong sometimes.....I guess now I know that they laugh and make nasty comments behind my back and even to my face.

Where do I start? I guess I should say that I am teaching a class about Autism for Law Enforcement Officers. The class is meant to help LEO's identify people with special needs and to help them better interact with people who have Autism or other developmental disabilities. It's an important class.....research shows that these types of people are 7 times more likely to come into contact with Law Enforcement!!! Unfortunately, these are not always positive contacts on either side. I thought, who better to educate officers about people with Autism than ME???? After all, I have been in Law Enforcement for 9 years now and have two children with Autism and have educated myself exstinsively. No brainer, right?

So, I have the first class scheduled for June 24th and it is filling up fast. I know there will be many more classes scheduled to involve Law Enforcement other than just the agency I work for. So, I had a recent opportunity to promote this class to another Law Enforcement agency while we were working together. I proceeded to tell no less than 5-10 officers about the benefits of my class and why they should attend the training. I was very passionate and yes, maybe a little over the top, but darnit I'm excited!!! So, the first several officers I speak with tell me they would enjoy the class and to let them know when it is scheduled so they can attend. Another couple agree to attend, mostly because it counts towards training hours :) The next few that I speak with happen to be some higher ranking decision makers.....the types of people that will either allow or not allow these other officers to attend the training. As I am in the middle of explaining the class and why it is so important that they attend, these officers start using words like "retard" and asking if this is a "tard whispering" class and if there will be any actual "Autistic" people in the class? Stunned......I stop speaking and listen as they go on and on about all the "retards" that live in their city and laugh and make fun of them. I cannot speak.....I am in shock.....I think I may cry if I open my mouth. So, I mention to one of them that he will be the only "Autistic" person in the class if he shows up for it as he obviously has no social skills. He tells me that even if he is ordered to attend my class by the Chief of Police, he will make them write him up instead. I walk out of the room thinking that I have never been so ashamed of or dissillusioned with my profession as I am right at this moment.

It took me over a week to write this, because honestly, I am still bubbling over with anger at these stupid, ignorant men. Is this the way my children are talked about behind their back by people who are sworn to serve and protect them? Are my children only "retards" to the rest of the general public?? Have I been lying to myself that I am helping people to understand? First of all, both of my children are highly intelligent, but they have trouble with social and communication skills. This does not make them Mentally Retarded.......and even if they did have a lower IQ that qualified them as Mentally Retarded, it does not qualify them as less of a human being. I hate these men for the doubt they have put in my brain ever since that day. I did manage to call one of their supervisors though and suggest that they may get some benefit out of attending my class ;) Knowledge is power and maybe I can get through to these ignorant asses!

A good friend of mine who also works in Law Enforcment had the opportunity to see these same men no less than a week after I had this experience with them. Apparently whatever she said to them had quite an impact as I have received one or two apologies for their lack of social graces. Unfortunately, the apologies I received where from officers who were not involved in the whole "tard whispering" conversation. All the same, it's good to know that I have friends who won't let people talk like that about me or my children and who will stick up for me when I am too shocked to do it for myself. You know who you are......love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment