Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Don't Call me Autistic


I have debated long and hard about whether I should write this post. For the sake of education and understanding, I've decided that it's a worthwhile subject. I hope no one takes this the wrong way and everyone takes my opinion with a grain of salt. If you've ever said this to me, please know that I am not upset with you and I understand that you didn't know any better :)

Ok....deep breath....I'm just gonna put this out there. I have a problem with the word Autistic. I cringe when I hear others talk about "Autistic" people and when my child is referred to as "Autistic." If you must describe my child as having a neurological disorder, I would prefer that you say that he has "Autism." Now, if you know me in real life, you know that although I am "a tree hugging liberal," I don't usually get caught up on labels. HOWEVER, my mind was certainly made up in this instance after reading Jenny McCarthy's first book about Autism. She explains (and I agree) that although her child DOES have Autism, he is more than Autistic. In the same way, yes, Nick has been diagnosed with Autism, but he is not defined by that diagnosis. Nick is technically Autistic, but he is also sweet, rambunctious, lovable, handsome, independent, smart, silly and so much more.

Hence the reason this blog is named "So Much More than Autism." I have made it a point never to refer to Nick as "Autistic" in front of him. I don't ever want him to think that he is and can only ever be Autistic. When I think about him, I don't think about my "Autistic" child. I think about my boy with the beautiful blue eyes, who gives awesome hugs, loves to jump on the bed and is currently infatuated with the eating of pepperoni. If he is always described as or dismissed as "Autistic" then how will he ever overcome that label? Basically, I'm afraid that calling my child Autistic would become a self-fulfilling prophecy. While Nick will always have Autism....he can certainly be much more than just Autistic. I don't ever want him to think that I have no higher expectations or goals for his future.

So....sorry for the novel, but please don't call my child Autistic. He has Autism, much in the same way that a person may have Cancer. That doesn't make the person become Cancer. They are simply someone afflicted with a disease that they are trying to overcome. Just as a little disclaimer here about my view on Jenny McCarthy. I think it is wonderful that a celebrity is bringing so much awareness around the treatment and diagnosis of Autism. I support anything that she and any other parent of a child with Autism does to advocate for their child. I do NOT agree with all of her views about the correlation between Autism and Vaccinations and I don't agree with her idea that you can "recover" a child from Autism. However, she is a mother just like me who is doing what she thinks is best for her child and I can't fault her for that. I do think she is very knowledgeable and I wholeheartedly agree with her view that our children are SO Much More Than Autism.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when Jenny McCarthy became public about her son, her interviews and whatnot. I commend her for her awareness on Autism and her willingness to go public as yourself Ali. Great blog <3

    ReplyDelete