Sunday, February 7, 2010

My little police man

Well, we managed to make it through the day with only a couple of attempted acts of violence against Max...LOL! I made sure to have my eyes on the boys at all times. I was still able to get in some time on the treadmill while they played nicely in the same room. They have both discovered how fun it is to put items on the treadmill and watch them fly off.....insert eye roll here. I had to stop after about 30 minutes when Max tried to get on the treadmill with me. Later on, I took a shower while Nick and Max played with dinosaurs in the bathroom...sigh. I guess it's going to be awhile before I get any alone time, but at least I'm not constantly worrying if Nick is killing Max.

Nick did manage to push Max over on one occasion today, but at least he didn't bang his head on a table this time. I also stopped him from pushing Max over when Max tried to turn the t.v. channel. I should add that Nick has become our little policeman when it comes to Max. He is constantly correcting him and making sure that he isn't doing something he shouldn't. Today, it was while I was drying my hair after my shower. I was watching a show and Max kept pushing buttons on the DVD player. It wasn't affecting my show, so I was not terribly concerned. Nick on the other hand was extremely worried about this. He started pushing Max every time he saw him reach for the buttons. I kept telling Nick not to push him and showed him that I was ok with Max pushing the buttons. He finally seemed to get the point and stopped pushing. Yesterday, Nick was upset that Max kept opening the toilet lid while I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth. (Is it obvious yet that they follow me everywhere?) Nick slammed the toilet lid down every time Max lifted it up. This resulted in some smashed fingers on Max's part and I had to kick them both out of the bathroom! Another day, Max kept attempting to let Oliver out of his crate while Ollie was in "time out." Nick was trying to keep the crate handle shut while Max was trying to open it. I have been calling Nick my little policeman, but I guess this is actually a good thing? He is actually recognizing when Max is doing naughty things and attempting to correct him. He doesn't always go about it the correct way, but at least it seems like something that is developmentally appropriate aka being the tattle tale. LOL

Here's another story about something irritating that Nick does that makes me immeasurably happy. I caught myself sighing and rolling my eyes today and then realized how far Nick has come, which brought a big grin to my face. Nick is super excited about labeling objects. As a result, he just HAS to identify everything and you HAVE to acknowledge that he identified said object. Today we were watching a cartoon and every 30 seconds, Nick was up in my face saying something. This how it went....Nick: "PUPPY, PUPPY, PUPPY." Me finally: "Yes, Nick it IS a a puppy." Nick walks off with a huge grin on his face. 3o seconds later....Nick: "BUNNY, BUNNY, BUNNY." Me...sigh: "Yes you are right....that is a bunny." Again Nick walks off with a self satisfied look. We repeat this scenario approximately 20 more times with various other items. Just as I am getting extremely exasperated with this whole "game" I start to remember how I used to pray that he would be able to speak and label objects eventually. I also realize that he is waiting for me to look him in the eyes and acknowledge his speech, just like we used to do with him. What a smart little boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment