Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Giant Victories


Today was rather uneventful in the Anderson household, which is a very rare thing! Is it wrong that I was super excited that Nick finally went back to school today after Christmas break, many snow days and some sick days? He was pretty excited to see his cupcake holder going into his backpack!! Today was a friend's birthday in his class and because Nick is on the GFCF diet, we make special cupcakes so he can partake in treat time with the rest of the class.

Allen, Max and I went car shopping and also purchased a treadmill, so we can save some money by canceling our gym membership. Max and I hauled butt home to get Nick off the bus by 2:30. I was tickled to see Nick get off the bus in his favorite Spongebob shirt and Dr. Seuss style hat!! Apparently, wearing things on his head is Nick's new "thing." Over the last several weeks, he has become partial to a bicycle helmet, baseball cap, cold weather hat with earflaps and now this Dr. Seuss type enormous hat. He's so silly!!! Unfortunately, he had a rather nasty diarrhea poop blowout at school today.....so, sorry Miss Amy!! He's taking his Immodium again and hopefully we can get that under control pretty soon. It was kinda nice that someone else had to deal with the nasty poop for a change :)

Later this evening while I was out running errands, I called home and asked Allen to put Nick on the phone with me. Nick got on and said clear as day, "I broke it" and then handed the phone back to daddy...LOL. We're still not sure what he was talking about...it's a new phrase he has learned and sometimes uses it appropriately, but at other times, not so much. He did get back on the phone and say, "Hi Mommy" and "I love you," with a little coaching from his daddy of course.

Then, tonight as he was taking his medicine before bedtime, he saw us pull the Immodium off the shelf. It tastes disgusting, so he immediately said, "drink?" Daddy didn't hear his request, so Nick said much louder, "I want milk." Good asking and using multiple word phrases!!! I was so excited :) As I tucked him into bed, I asked him what color his socks were...."blue." Nick has come so far from where he once was....which was generally non verbal, with only a couple words in sign language and repeating some verbal prompts. I am so excited to hear him identify colors, letters and say spontaneous words or spontaneous requests. During dinner he went to the refrigerator and opened the door. I thought I heard him say juice, so I got it out and went looking for his cup. He immediately said, "NO!" and went back, opened the fridge and pointed at grapes! Yay for Nick! It wasn't that long ago that he would have started screaming and crying and throwing himself on the floor because he was so frustrated that he couldn't tell us what he wanted! This incident may have had me and Nick BOTH in tears at that time. We have to always remember to be grateful because his tiny steps are really GIANT VICTORIES!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment